baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: halinux AT kvinet.com, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet problem
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Hal MacArgle wrote:

> On 06-13, Sindi Keesan wrote:
> > Someone at the bbs said you need the kernel source - is this only that
> > one
> > kernel headers file that Steven said to install as part of the files
> > needed for compiling? He also said to look at the package for INSTALL
> > but
> > there is no package, only winbond-840.c
>
> That would be James.. The .c file above is used by the
> Makefile when compiling the complete kernel when make_modules is
> invoked.. Do you have the full source for the subject kernel you want
> to work with?? If not you'll have to get it from kernel.org and it'll
> be a doozey - most over 25mB now, IIRC.. Linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2 is 27
> mB.. The earlier ones a mite smaller... The .gz's longer but I think
> you can uncrunch bz2... Have you compiled the full kernel before??

ftp.planetmirror.com has Slackwares 1.x through 9.1 (don't need
kernel.org) for ide or scsi or as source code.

SW3.9 2.0.37 just under 6M
SW7.1 2.2.16 close to 13.5M
SW8.1 2.4.18 about 24M
SW9.1 about 29M

It is clear why Steven picked the earlier kernels. Too bad Xvesa requires
2.2.x or later. I wonder if Opera would work with BL3 (SW3.x with SW7.1
kernel) and glibc 2.2.5 from SW81, or would it need a later kernel too?

Is there any reason not to use BL1 to compile this network driver, and
use the ethernet card to transfer files using BL1 instead of BL2? It
would save a lot of space.

Can I install the BL1 kernel source on my BL2 partition and compile the
module with BL2 (and glibc from SW81)? Or do you have to keep these
things separate, and also compile with BL1? I presume I could specify in
a makefile or on the gcc line where to look for the kernel source code.