baslinux - Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:46:17 +1200

Tim Rue wrote:

> The slackware glibc package is a 23meg download

Wrong package. That one is for compiling. You want the
runtime package (unless, of course, you actually want to
do some compiling).

> do I need the whole thing or just some part of it? (ie, glibc.so)

The runtime part is packaged separately (glibcso.tgz) and
usually resides in an A directory (not D).

> Also since this seems to be about a rather large library,
> its making me think maybe I can get eric3 to work. it requires
> QT3.1, sip, PyQt3.6, python 2.3 (of course), QScintilla 1.0 ...

Adding all that stuff threatens to overflow fs.img (even
a 30mb file). A proper HD installation would be advisable.

It appears that those versions are fairly recent, which is
likely to overload things further. In particular, they may
require version 2.3 of glibc (rather than the 2.1 in Slack71
and the 2.2 in Slack81).

Keep in mind that no version of glibc has yet been run on BL3
(AFAIK). It's a wee bit early to be heading for the stratosphere.