baslinux - [BL] Problem with wireless card

  • From: Fred Rogers <froggyquim AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Problem with wireless card
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:11:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am using BL3 and think its a great distro!

I am trying to get an wireless proxim/symphony pcmcia
card going with BL3 and I am having a problem.

The hardware is an old Ricoh 486 tablet computer with
8 MB of ram. I very impressed with how fast BL3 is on
this machine, much snappier than win95.

I can insmod the wireless card driver fine but can't
"up" the interface with ifconfig. ifconfig eth0
192.168.1.1 up returns, SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device.
Same error if I replace eth0 with rlmod, rlmod.o or
pcmcia_core.

lsmod shows:
rlmod <- wireless driver compiled against the
linux-2.2.16 kernel includes
ds
82365
pcmcia_core

I added the following lines to /etc/rc:

insmod /usr/local/bin/rlmod.o CardType=3
alias eth0 rlmod
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up

Added a /etc/modules.conf that contains:
alias eth0 rlmod

Looking through the email archive it seems like BL3
doesn't use modules.conf?

What is the right way to alias an ethX device to a
specific driver?

Thanks!