baslinux - Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions

  • From: Tim Rue <bl-3seas AT threeseas.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:20:17 -0700

Quoting 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org:

> Tim Rue wrote:
> >
> > > It is possible to create a larger file (using mke2fs)
> >
> > Yes please. I tried to figure it out on my own w/o success.
> > say 30meg
>
> (1) while in DOS, copy fs.img to old.fs

[snip]

Great, that worked and from those instuction I can make other size HFs and
even
mount them in a multi-HF system..... which brings me to the next concern.

> > As best I can determine, AROS does use glibc and not libc5...
> > but have seen another message to the list regarding installing
> > some glibc (6?) with success..
>
> Users have successfully installed the glibc package from
> Slackware 8.1 on top of both BL1 and BL2. BL3 is still
> fairly new and AFAIK nobody has tried that yet. However,
> there's a pretty good chance it will work on BL3 too.
> Note: before you try something like that, I recommend
> you use DOS to make a copy of fs.img. That way you can
> restore your original if something goes wrong.

The slackware glibc package is a 23meg download and I don't know if that is
compressed.

So... do I need the whole thing or just some part of it? (ie, glibc.so)

I'd only need the runtime part, not the development part???

but if I need the whole thing, perhaps I can create a hardfile for it and use
link? (not that I know how to do that, but seem reasonable).

Also since this seems to be about a rather large library, its making me think
maybe I can get eric3 to work. it requires QT3.1, sip, PyQt3.6, python 2.3 (of
course), QScintilla 1.0 ...

is there anything I don't know that would say more a probably not? (I hate
wasting my time trying to do something only to find a brick wall eventually)

> Cheers,
> Steven

Thank you so much for your help so far Steven.