baslinux - Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions

  • From: Tim Rue <bl-3seas AT threeseas.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:56:07 -0700

Quoting 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org:

> Tim Rue wrote:
> >
> > Basic Linux only has a 15meg hardfile... not leaving
> > enough room for AROS...
>
> It is possible to create a larger file (using mke2fs)
> and transfer the contents of fs.img to the new file
> (using send/receive). Rename the new file fs.img and
> put it in C:\baslin. Let me know if you want detailed
> instructions (and how big you want the new fs.img to be).

Yes please. I tried to figure it out on my own w/o success.

say 30meg

> > The second problem is that Basiclinux doesn't seem to
> > regonize anything outside of itself as runable (correct
> > me if I'm wrong here).
>
> I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I've used BL3 to run
> executables residing on a DOS partition.

You are probably right, as I found I can untar from outside BL into BL, which
could solve the filename length problem.

> > to run not only basiclinux but AROS (if it will run)
>
> If AROS is a Linux binary, it probably uses the current
> Linux library (glibc2). BL3 uses an older/smaller library
> (libc5). It may be possible to add the glibc2 library to
> BL3 by installing a package from Slackware, but AFAIK nobody
> has tried that.

As best I can determine, AROS does use glibc and not libc5... so I don't know
if
I'll get it going, but have seen another message to the list regarding
installing some glibc (6?) with success..

I have been looking at other small linuxes and it seems ulinux and tiny linux
... perhaps damn small linux are the remains of what I might get to run on
this
old limited resource laptop.

what I'd like to do is to be able to run eric3 (python IDE - requires some
newer
and perhaps "unstable" debs). Though I don't know if this is possible in 8
megs
of ram. But it would be nice to be able to do some python coding on it.

any feedback on these issues woudl be helpful

Thanks

Tim Rue