baslinux - Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New to BasicLinux... my interest and some questions
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 08:52:20 +1200

Tim Rue wrote:

> > It is possible to create a larger file (using mke2fs)
>
> Yes please. I tried to figure it out on my own w/o success.
> say 30meg

(1) while in DOS, copy fs.img to old.fs
(2) boot BL3
(3) cd /DOS/baslin
(4) dd if=/dev/zero of=new.fs bs=1k count=30k
(5) mke2fs new.fs 30720 (ignore warning)
(6) mount -o loop old.fs /hd
(7) mount -o loop new.fs /mnt
(8) cd /mnt
(9) receive
(10) press ALT-F2
(11) cd /hd
(12) send
(13) localhost
(14) *
(15) press CTRL-C when finished
(16) cd
(17) umount /hd
(18) press ALT-F1
(19) press CTRL-C
(20) have a look around to see if transfer worked
(21) cd
(22) umount /mnt
(22) reboot to DOS
(23) rename new.fs to fs.img

> As best I can determine, AROS does use glibc and not libc5...
> but have seen another message to the list regarding installing
> some glibc (6?) with success..

Users have successfully installed the glibc package from
Slackware 8.1 on top of both BL1 and BL2. BL3 is still
fairly new and AFAIK nobody has tried that yet. However,
there's a pretty good chance it will work on BL3 too.
Note: before you try something like that, I recommend
you use DOS to make a copy of fs.img. That way you can
restore your original if something goes wrong.