baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > How fast is 10Mb ethernet relative to plip?
>
> Here are the results of a test I ran using two
> of my computers (FTP server on Pentium, client
> on 486).
>
> Time to transfer 2.5mb file
> -------------------------------
> 10Mb ethernet 4 seconds
> PLIP 64 seconds
> SLIP (115200) 271 seconds
> -------------------------------
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

I just transferred 147MB (compressed/archived) via plip in about 60
minutes, which also comes to 2.5M per minute like you got.
It would have been 4 minutes via ethernet.

Maybe I should have learned to use ethernet before setting up six machines
this way, but we can eat lunch while waiting.

I am more concerned about plip and llpro messing up the transfer of image
files. Have you tried using plip to transfer fs.img, Steven?

I won't try SLIP at 1/4 the speed of PLIP. Or Kermit over serial
nullmodem cable and probably the same speed.

I have one PCI ethernet card with both round and phone-type connectors.
Is one better to use than the other, assuming I can get a free connector
and matching card? Do you do something different with the software for
each connector?