baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 19:59:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 2 May 2004, David Lane wrote:

> If you don't mind,what kind of laptop is this?Make,model,etc.This sounds
> familiar but I don't want to jump to any conclusions until I know the
> hardware in question.

It's an Epson Actionnote 890C. 20MB RAM, 486 DX100 (Cyrix). Note that
the original hard drive went caput. I put an IBM (perhaps you've heard
the horror stories about IBM hard drives?) drive I got for cheap in there.
The drive had some flakinesses to begin with, but my first PTSDOS/BL2
install on it was working great - until I had a system crash (lost power
during BL2 shutdown sequence). Haven't been able to get it to work right
since. PTSDOS continued to boot fine even after the crash - it was just
BL2 that got hosed. But I didn't like PTSDOS and really wanted to go with
Freedos. And the current saga continues from there . . .

> Also,you said,"Wish I had a floppy on this.....".If it doesn't have a
> floppy drive,how did you do a FDISK/MBR from one?Maybe I misunderstood.

The notebook was given to me because the floppy drive went on the blink
(tried fixing that some time ago - no luck) and the HD was acting up.
So, to get stuff on it, I've been removing the drive and sticking it in
another machine that has a working floppy etc. Not for the faint of
heart. It would make a really good target for BL3.2. But, I'm supposed
to be preoccupied with other things than my computer hobby now, so I can
only go at this in fits and starts (mostly fits) presently.

Take care, James