baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.2x and Xfree 3.3.2
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 17:50:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 1 May 2004, James Miller wrote:

> I regret to say that I took a few hours the other night to try and get the
> new BL3 working on my old laptop but failed. It is not a problem with
> BL3: it seems nothing wants to boot from the first HD partition. Freedos
> wasn't working there previously, and I thought using M$DOS in its place
> would fix the problem. But it didn't. I'll have to run some HD
> diagnostic utility on it, whenever I can next find some time for that. I
> did go ahead and boot it on another desktop machine I had, just so that
> attempt wouldn't be a total failure. It's a really interesting little

I should have been a bit more specific about the problem outlined here.
This drive works fine when I take it out of the laptop and put it in a
test desktop system: things install fine (both Freedos and MSDOS) to the
first partition. They both boot fine as well - as long as the drive sits
in the desktop computer. When I stick the drive back in the laptop,
though, neither of those DOS's that installed and booted fine in the
desktop will boot in the laptop. So, it's not as if the drive doesn't
boot in any computer: it only *doesn't* boot in the laptop. Anyway, when
I can get back to this problem, maybe I'll figure out a fix. Whether it's
one suggested by other list members, something Norton Utilities does, or
some as-yet-unspecified solution. Thanks for input on this.

James