baslinux - Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:51:34 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Can you also explain why there are both 75 and 100dpi
> fonts

To give you choices. A normal distribution gives you many
choices in fonts: different types, different sizes, different
faces, different slants, different dpi, fixed/variable/scalable.

You can get along quite comfortably without 99% of those fonts.

> I use just one of these, for instance helvetica in all sizes?

Sure, you can use helvetica for your variable font (and delete
all the other variable fonts). But some software will complain
when it doesn't find Times (or whatever). You can get around
that by aliasing Times (or whatever) to helvetica in fonts.alias.

Note: you can't use variable fonts in xterms so you will need
one or more fixed fonts for that.

> > Why would you want to do that when a nice big font takes
> > just 2.7 kb of space?
>
> Because you are a crazy minimalist

You would have to be crazy to worry about spending 2.7 kb to
get a decent-sized font for Xvesa.