baslinux - Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:47:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, David Lane wrote:

> Just a question Sindi,why not install xbin.tgz?I'd really like to know why
> you wouldn't want to install the whole thing.Is there something I'm going to
> run into if I do on BL2?I'm going to install BL2 on a Pentium system soon
> (1gig HD).What is your reasoning if you don't mind my asking.

xbin.tgz is nearly 3M and probably expands to double that. I don't see
the point in installing all of that stuff when I only need a few libraries
to make Xvesa work. From xbin.tgz I need rxvt (78K) and optionally xinit
(10K but it has dependencies) and also the libraries for these and opera:
libX11 (767K), libXext (53K), libICE (88K), libSM (37K). rxvt need
libXpm from xpm.tgz (61K). xinit needs Xmu (110) and libXt (343K) from
xbin.tgz. You don't really need xinit to run X with Xvesa as the server.

I counted up about 1.1M of actual uncompressed files needed for X besides
Xvesa, and less than that if you don't run Opera. Most of this is libX11.

Steven suggested for installing X in BL2 also xlib (which includes
calculator and clock that he has set up to work with icewm in his
bl2-x.tgz package) but I don't seem to need it. I picked out only xmodmap
so I could change the keyboard.

If you are using xvg16.tgz or some other standard X server also xconfig
but it is not needed for Xvesa (which I downloaded from delilinux and I
think James might also have it at his download site). BL3 uses Xvesa but
BL2-x.pkg uses xvg16.tgz.

I installed also xfnts.tgz and xf100.tgz but Opera does not seem to be
accessing those which is why I asked what I might be missing. Opera works
with the few fonts that are provided as part of Xvesa but I think they
might just be system fonts, not truetype. They are very small.
Probably most of the fonts are not needed either. Steven picked out one
set of truetype fonts for BL3 and a few sizes of fixed fonts and says the
latter are used in xterm/rxvt and the former in programs written for X
like graphical browsers and wordprocessors.