baslinux - Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:17:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > alias o='Xvesa -screen 1024x768x16 &rxvt -e icewm &rxvt -e opera'
>
> Both of those "rxvt -e" are unnecessary. Neither icewm nor
> opera need an xterm to run it. They both run directly from X.

Please tell me exactly how to accomplish the above (forget the alias part)
without any rxvt -e. I have tried all sorts of combinations and I either
get as far as a grey mottled screen with an X, or a black screen with
error messages. I either need to put icewm into .xinitrc or use rxvt for
it to work for me. I really don't understand this all.

> > (misc, probably what Steven chose for Bl3)
>
> Nope. You can see exactly what I chose for BL3 by looking in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts. BTW, the fonts I have in the misc
> directory are not the fonts that Slackware puts in the misc
> directory.

I was not clear. I meant that it would make sense to copy over your BL3
fonts into the /misc directory instead of what is provided by SW71.

> > and one set of truetype fonts ought to do it
>
> I think you are confusing truetype with scalable.
> Slackware provides scalable fonts, not truetype.

Thanks. Can you also explain why there are both 75 and 100dpi fonts and
can I use just one of these, for instance helvetica in all sizes? Or are
75 and 100 designed for different resolutions? I suppose I can learn by
experimenting some more (delete or rename some).

> > You can also manage with just the Xvesa fonts if your eyes
> > are good.
>
> Why would you want to do that when a nice big font takes
> just 2.7 kb of space?

Because you are a crazy minimalist of the sort that BL attracts?
(Like those of us who go through and hand-delete all the COPYING and
COPYRIGHT and INSTALL files - is there some way to do a global rm
instead?) But the comment on eyesight was really just meant as a joke.