baslinux - Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] minimal X for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:59:29 -0400 (EDT)

In order to get Xvesa to use anything but the default font that comes with
it, you need to point it to the fonts. I discovered from reading the
error messages on exit that it could not find
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc 75dpi or 100dpi

This is where the fonts are located in BL3, but not in BL2, where
xfnts and xf100.tgz have installed the fonts to /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts
(without the X11).

So I made /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and put a symlink in it:
ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts fonts

This worked the same as when I copied all the fonts to
..../lib/X11/fonts/....

I think Opera may be using only system fonts because no matter what font I
choose as normal all text is in the same size font (different fonts for
each choice). No big problem.

There are other problems though. Every time I load Opera it blinks a few
times. Each time I load it it blinks more times. It is now up to 15
times. When I load it without being online, it loads several copies of
the screen, one more each time which might be related to the blinking.
But the number of blinks is higher than the number of copies.
Once it is loaded, it works okay.

Any ideas on how to fix the blinking or get truetype fonts to work with
Xvesa?

If I don't use icewm (some other window manager, or no window manager),
there seems to be no way to switch focus to where I want it without using
the mouse. Icewm also uses the keyboard (shift-F10) to maximize the opera
window, but ratpoison automatically runs everything full screen. I might
try to install a really minimal icewm without any menus, icons, or themes.