baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:43:06 -0400

My reason for installing the BL1 on an hardrive was two-fold.First,the
experience,simply teaching myself how to do it.The "old" and "8MB ram" part
came from the fact that it was the only system I could devote to "tinkering"
around with at this time.I have 2 really good PCs but one belongs to my kids
and has all their games,and the other,mine,helps me earn a living,so I
really couldn't afford to experiment with those.
Second reason;I wanted to approximate a "normal" system install,like you
would do when installing DOS,Windows or whatever.The fact that Basic Linux
or Linux period can be installed and ran so many ways is great and fine as
far as it goes but at the end of the day,I simply wanted to install
Linux,learn to configure it and operate it in as "normal" (Windows/Dos) a
manner as possible.When learning something completely new I've found it's
better to keep the variables to a minimum.
The one thing I DIDN'T want to do,is take a good,high-end system,get
whatever the popular,trendy version of Linux is,and load that ton of crap on
it.I'm sorry,but I remember when Red Hat 6.0 was one CD (the OS) and it came
with a CD of applications.Now,you have versions of Linux on THREE CDs.What's
up with that?Windows XP is only on one CD and it comes with more crud than
you'll ever use.I can't imagine why any OS needs three CDs.Along with that
growth in size,Linux seems to be striving to "be like Windows".Why?There
already is such a thing.I like and use Windows,but if I wanted to install
and use that yet again I'd have already done it.I appreciate Windows for
what it is (and isn't),I like Macintosh for the same reasons.I wanted to
learn,and appreciate what Linux is on it's own merits,not for what it can be
made to look like or run on.
Sorry for the speech,but an honest question deserves an honest answer.
David Lane