baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:15:15 -0400 (EDT)

In order to run lynx (the one I compiled, anyway) in BL2 with ratpoison
you need xterm, not rxvt.

I found two ways to get the xterm:
Open an rxvt (C-t,c) and type xterm in it (which opens the next window
as an xterm).
Change the script x-terminal-emulator (in /usr/sbin) to
exec xterm
exec rxvt
exec rxvt

(Steven, is exec needed? I put it in because your icewm menu had it. And
now I know why you have three xterms on one line in the menu.)

This also lets you create additional windows/screens without typing rxvt,
but they take up some RAM since they load before you start using
ratpoison. For a really low-RAM system you probably don't want to be
using two windows at once anyway.

xterm - 1804K
rxvt - 1036K
ratpoison - 740K
bash - 880 K

BL3
swm - 684K - it is definitely minimal!
sh - 252K

I was able to run opera, links2, xpdf, kermit, zgv, flwriter in/from rxvt,
just not lynx. Lynx told me: error opening terminal:xterm. Perhaps
there is some way to compile it to use rxvt instead?