baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and ratpoison
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:49:34 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> What else can we do with ar besides unpack .deb files?

ar is an archiving utility (similar to tar). It is the
archiver of choice for libraries.

> I have been unable to access the older Deb distributions
> via the link to Debian archives at archive.debian.org/debian-archive.

Unlike Slackware, Debian does not mantain old collections. However,
with some clever googling you can find defunct Debian stuff in odd
corners.

> You also put in 'echo', I think, which will help with compiling.

That's not why it's there.

> But 15M is sort of small for compiling in

The 15mb filesystem was not designed for compiling.

> and I never could quite understand how to make it larger.

Do you understand how to make a separate Linux partition on your
harddisk and put an ext2 filesystem on it?

> I hope you will write a faq on that

I'd rather write a script.

> so people with low-RAM systems won't need to struggle through
> installing plain X on BL1 if they want X in more colors.

That does not make sense. Why would they put plain X on BL1
when they can simply run Xvesa on BL3? The 15mb filesystem
is certainly no problem in that regard.