baslinux - Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:04:36 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Well, when it's running it uses ext2. But when it's
> not running, it's stored on FAT16.

Yes, it's one file stored on FAT16. Just like the
baslinux.gz file (for BL1 and BL2) is stored on FAT16.

> So maybe not as much data can be stored per MB

Actually, less real data can be stored on ext2 than FAT16
(because ext2 uses space for inodes and other admin).

> or cluster on fs.img

fs.img is just one big file, so cluster size is not an issue.
Wasted space due to clusters occurs when you have lots of
files that are significantly smaller than the cluster size.

> Just out of curiosity: I'm presuming the following would work.
> 1) boot to BL2 ramdisk version
> 2) create a 15MB partition on the HD at, say, /dev/hda2
> 3) create ext2 filesystem on /dev/hda2
> 4) mount /dev/hda2 at, say, /mnt/hda2

No need to mount it.

> 5) mount the DOS drive where BL3 resides at, say, /DOS
> 6) cd to /DOS/baslin and do dd if=fs.img of=/mnt/hda2

> It gets BL3 on an ext2 HD partition, correct? Comments?

Yes. To get it to work properly, you would need to edit
/etc/fstab and /etc/rc on the new partition.

Or, you could create a larger HD partition, mount both the
partition and fs.img, and copy the entire filesystem over.
I normally use tar to do this, but you could probably also
use cp -a or send/receive.

> Can a user create his/her own fs.img from within BL3
> (or maybe BL2 ramdisk), stipulating a given size?

Sure. For example, to make a 30mb file:
dd if=/dev/zero of=filename bs=1k count=30k
mke2fs -m0 filename