baslinux - Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:19:53 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:
> >
> > > For example, to make a 30mb file:
> > > dd if=/dev/zero of=filename bs=1k count=30k
> > > mke2fs -m0 filename
> >
> > this is probably going to be a very FAQ about BL3.
>
> I should probably make clear that the above example,
> creates an empty 30mb filesystem. That's all. It
> does not put BL3 on that filesystem.

To complete the faq, here's an excerpt from our previous exchange
concerning getting the BL3 data on the new fs.img. Steven didn't
specifically answer my questions about copying over the data yet, but it
seems straightforward enough that I think my suggestion about doing it was
right. He'll probably jump in now and offer a correction if I'm not.
Note that, in my initial email, I was talking about copying the BL3 data
from one fs.img to another using BL2 ramdisk. The procedure would, of
course be a bit different if it were being done from BL3. Here's the
relevant part of the exchange:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > Or, you could create a larger HD partition, mount both the
> > partition and fs.img, and copy the entire filesystem over.
> > I normally use tar to do this, but you could probably also
> > use cp -a or send/receive.
>
> Sounds like a better option for those who want both a larger BL3 install
> space and an ext2 hard drive partition.
>
> > > Can a user create his/her own fs.img from within BL3
> > > (or maybe BL2 ramdisk), stipulating a given size?
> >
> > Sure. For example, to make a 30mb file:
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=filename bs=1k count=30k
> > mke2fs -m0 filename
>
> Then mount both fs.img's as loop devices and copy contents from the old
> one over to the new one as described above? Basically the whole

For the scenario I was talking about - using BL2 ramdisk to do this -
you'd need to create 2 mount points for the fs.img filesystems, let's say
one at /mnt/fs-old and the other at /mnt/fs-new. Then, you do mount -o
loop fs-old.img /mnt/fs-old and mount -o loop fs-new.img /mnt/fs-new.
Then, you do cp -a /mnt/fs-old /mnt/fs-new - right, Steven? Or use tar to
do this as he suggested (I'm not very familiar with tar - he'll have to
supply direction for that). I guess if one were trying to do this
under BL3, one would need to do only mount -o loop fs-new.img
/mnt/fs-new and then simply issue cp -a /* /mnt/fs-new (making sure one
has unmounted any floppies or CD's or other HD's that one may have
mounted first). Please offer any corrections needed to this potential faq
item.

Thanks, James