baslinux - Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fs.img size choice?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:22:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> > So maybe not as much data can be stored per MB
>
> Actually, less real data can be stored on ext2 than FAT16
> (because ext2 uses space for inodes and other admin).

I see. So FAT16 actually turns out to be something of an advantage over
ext2, right? (i.e., more efficient use of HD space).

> Or, you could create a larger HD partition, mount both the
> partition and fs.img, and copy the entire filesystem over.
> I normally use tar to do this, but you could probably also
> use cp -a or send/receive.

Sounds like a better option for those who want both a larger BL3 install
space and an ext2 hard drive partition.

> > Can a user create his/her own fs.img from within BL3
> > (or maybe BL2 ramdisk), stipulating a given size?
>
> Sure. For example, to make a 30mb file:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=filename bs=1k count=30k
> mke2fs -m0 filename

Then mount both fs.img's as loop devices and copy contents from the old
one over to the new one as described above? Basically the whole
filesystem, filestructure, data and everything else are in fs.img, right?
It would be the sort of baslinux.gz of prior BL's, wouldn't it?

This is really great stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us.

James