baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.01 ftpput

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.01 ftpput
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:17:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, James Miller wrote:

> > > I suspect both would work with standard url passwording:
> > >
> > > wget ftp://username:password@server//path/to/url
> > >
> > > links http://username:password@server/path/to/file
> >

> > The wget worked perfectly, once I stopped putting ~keesan in the path and
> > just gave the name of the file in my home directory.
> > In the example for links, did you mean to have a // before path?
>
> I guess the risk involved with this method is that there's no encryption,
> and it wouldn't be too hard for someone to sniff out your username and
> password.
>
> James

In this case security is not terribly important. This method would be
used to download files from a student account, of no possible interest to
anyone else.

Is it possible to make some sort of alias for the download with wget and
just give the path/filename each time? This particular student ftp space
has a horrendously long address, an equally long username starting with
'.' and an odd password, and the student in question in sufficiently
dyslexic to spell things wrong three different ways in two sentences.

He spent a lot of time trying to learn ftp commands, but really does not
need to do anything most of the time besides upload and download files.
Once in a while he can use an ftp program to delete them (or do that at
school).

Would the following work, in /root/.profile (where I just put
alias pico="e3pi")?

alias get="wget ftp://username:password@ftpaddress//"; %1

alias put="ftpput -u username -p password ftpaddress" %1