baslinux - Re: [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:58:48 -0500 (EST)

> Only by chance I realized that there are "occasional glitches" in the
> files. About 5 percent of files copied through the laplink cable
> were damaged. In a very deceiving way: File size is identical. If the
> copied files are zip archives, the files listing may be readable
> and identical, too. But one tiny part of the file contains trash.
>
> I have cancelled the operation and used MS interlnk/intersvr under
> DOS, instead. And I was a bit surprised.
>
> 1. What would you say, has caused the damage? Actually there have
> been many timeout errors during the copying procedure. But this
> generally does not cause damages in the files (I thought until now)

It certainly could cause errors, depending on exactly how they happened and
what went on.

> 2. Is there a way to verify important file transfers of that kind?

Use cksum

cksum filename gives you a number (actually two IIRC, one being the filesize,
the other being a key based on the file contents). Check the number you get
is the same on both sides of the transfer - if it is, the file is probably OK.

(Is cksum in busybox? I can't check now because I'm at work, but it seems like
the sort of thing that might be).

Hope that helps,

Ian