baslinux - Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:24:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Were you able to select just some parts of xbin.tgz
>
> I'm using almost none of xbin.tgz

I would like to install the minimum of what is needed to use xvesa/icem
with BL2. Do you have a list of exactly what files are needed from each
package?

> > the fonts in xvesa were not very readable
>
> So far, I've added three fonts. Two fixed: 9x15 and 11x19.
> One proportional: helvetica-14

> > xomething in xlib I needed to get Realplayer8 to install,
> > and xpm to get icewm to work
>
> So far, everything is running on just libX11 and libXpm.
>
> > I discovered that I need libncurses.so.5 for several programs
> > - less,
>
> I'm using a smaller/older version of less that does not require
> libncurses.
>
> > lynx, kermit, screen.
>
> Those three aren't in BL3.

I was not expecting them to be but I thought this was supposed to work
like BL2 and let you build a larger hard-drive version. I guess not.
Should be very interesting to try it out anyway.

> > Will you be including it in the BL3-to-hard-disk setup?
>
> At this stage, the install-to-Linux-partition routine will
> simply do a straight copy. No automatic add-ons.
>
> > I liked the extra package that you made for BL1 which
> > included various useful programs in it, obviating the
> > need to install several other packages from Slackware.
>
> Eventually, I might provide minimalistic packages, each
> providing just one library or binary (without extras).
>
> > The mail routine in BL2 is rather confusing, enough so that
> > I have actually given up using it. I can never remember how
> > to compose an email. What improvements are you considering?
>
> A point-and-click X application would be nice. But so far
> I haven't found anything light enough.

Is there something promising which could be rewritten to be a bit smaller
with fewer features? Has anyone written an assembler language mail
program for linux? Jim apologizes that he does not know enough C or nasm
yet to write a program or even modify one, but he asks if you have packed
the programs you are trying out, with all possible switches. What are the
minimum features that you are looking for? I need to send binary
attachments and I don't think your current mail program does that. I
could manage without an address book or mail folders, though.