baslinux - Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:54:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Steven, how is BL3 coming along?
>
> Xvesa, wm and rxvt are running fine. I'm currently trying
> out some small X applications to include.
>
> > I am looking forward to installing it on a computer that
> > we just set up.
>
> It will be available in March (hopefully early March). I
> still have a lot of trimming and tidying to do. For example,
> I want to eliminate the ncurses library (which is relatively
> large) and I want to have a look at improving the mail routine.

Were you able to select just some parts of xbin.tgz and the other packages
that you recommended for X previously? I did not need xvg16 or xcfg or
xfnts but the fonts in xvesa were not very readable and I think it was
xomething in xlib I needed to get Realplayer8 to install, and xpm to get
icewam to work (but probably icewm only needs part of it). It will be
very interesting to see what you end up with.

I discovered that I need libncurses.so.5 for several programs - less,
lynx, kermit, screen. Will you be including it in the BL3-to-hard-disk
setup? I liked the extra package that you made for BL1 which included
various useful programs in it, obviating the need to install several other
packages from Slackware. Replacements for the busybox programs might also
be helpful when installing to hard drive, at least for find and sort and
any others that people reported having trouble with (lacked switches).

The mail routine in BL2 is rather confusing, enough so that I have
actually given up using it. I can never remember how to compose an email.
What improvements are you considering?

Thanks for sharing all your work with us.