baslinux - Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:48:34 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Will BL3 let you compile using the same libraries as BL2?

BL3 uses libc5. It might be possible to install the glibc
package from Slackware 8.1 on top of it. I successfully
did that with BL1.

> Will it run programs compiled for BL2?

Nope. BL2 uses glibc2.

BL2 was designed to provide an easy upgrade path to Slackware 7.1.
BL3 does not do that. It is designed to run on a 386/486/P1 with
little RAM. I am cutting corners to make it smaller/faster. There
will be no smooth upgrade path. Although packages from Slackware
3 and 4 are compatible, libraries and/or non-busybox binaries will
sometimes need to be added to enable those packages to work.

Those people wanting to use BasicLinux as a platform for a fuller
installation should use BL2. Those who need something to work on
an old 386sx with 4mb RAM should use BL3.

> When might we expect an alpha version?

BasicLinux 3.00 will be available in March.

> Will it include e3pi, which I was thinking of using as the lynx
> editor?

I haven't decided on the editor. nano uses the ncurses library
so I am looking at other options (although first I'll probably
try recompiling nano without ncurses). e3pi is certainly small
but it is a bit spartan for my liking. I might end up using
e3pi but I really would like to find something nicer.