baslinux - Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lynx 2.8.5
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:05:29 -0500 (EST)

http://stu.wccnet.org/~jdeigert/lynx-285-ssl-static

The binary (executable) only.
Please test this. You need a copy of lynx.cfg (you can use the one from
lynx-ssl.tgz at James' site or I will post mine on request) in /usr/lib.
(The older version puts it in /usr/local/lib).

If it works for a few other people I will package everything including my
lynx.cfg (set up with downloaders for links, pdftotext, and zgv) and the
compressed help files and man pages. The version compiled for us of lynx
2.8.4-ssl is just the executable and lynx.cfg.

This lynx 2.8.5 is non-developmental, just came out Feb 4, 2004.

It is compiled statically with ncurses 5.3, zlib, and openssl 97c. I can
provide packages for openssl (complete with man pages and certs) and zlib,
and probably just the header files (include/*.h) and libncurses.a for
ncurses 5.3 (the shared library libncurses.so.5.3 which I compiled does
not appear to work), in case anyone else wants them to compile lynx or
other programs with. The precompiled slackware versions lack the header
files or have inadequate static library and could not be used to compile.
I can also provide the scripts used for compiling these programs, given to
me by Doug Kaufman, who has a very nice lynx for DOS package. It was
rather a challenge to compile for basiclinux. I had to add an echo
program from ssh-utils, which Steven is including in BL3, and some other
missing files from other packages (I think sort from txtutils was one).

Will BL3 let you compile using the same libraries as BL2? Will it run
programs compiled for BL2? When might we expect an alpha version?
Will it include e3pi, which I was thinking of using as the lynx editor?