baslinux - [BL] lynx 2.8.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] lynx 2.8.5
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:05:13 -0500 (EST)

The latest non-dev version of lynx 2.8.5 came out Feb 4 and I am
attempting to compile it. I had to compile zlib and openssl and ncurses
5.3 first in order to have all the files I needed for lynx, since the
slackware precompiled versions lack the static libraries (.a) or the
header files (.h).

I had trouble compiling ncurses 5.3 and ended up installing ncurses. 5.2
libncurses.a from Slackware 8.1, with the header files (include, .h) from
5.3. This 5.2 libncurses.a file requires libgpm.a in order to be usable
for compilation with lynx. The one I compiled does not. (I had to
install libncurses.so.5.2 because the one from 5.3 causes segmentation
faults with kermit, less, and screen and I have a mixture now).

I have two options - replace libncurses.a with the one that I compiled
that does not do mouse support or add libgpm.a from SW81 and have mouse
support in lynx.

I personally have no use for mouse support but I would be willing to
compile lynx with it if anyone else wants to use it with a mouse.

Please let me know very soon. I am hoping to get this done with. Doug
has been helping me wiht this for 2 months now and everything else is
working.

Steven, how is BL3 coming along? I am looking forward to installing it on
a computer that we just set up.