baslinux - Re: [BL] shift over and back

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shift over and back
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:41:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

> Hi Sindi
>
> >Reply to Sender: mailto:keesan AT iamjlamb.com
> >Reply to List: mailto:baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
> >I tried dosemu without any X. Will graphical DOS programs run under X? If
> >so, how? Would Xvesa cooperate with dosemu?
>
> When I saw dosemu first in non-graphical mode I was quite disappointed
> because the semigraphical characters did not display properly. For
> some applications (I try to run MS-Word) this is a problem. So I did
> not waste my time and tried dosemu in an Xwindow and got a screen
> identical to that in DOS.

I did not know MS-WORD for DOS was at all graphical. I rarely use the
graphical (Preview) part of WP5.1/DOS.

Xvesa was actually really easy once you know how. Just install the
package and it puts Xvesa into /usr/X11R6/bin. Then type
startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 800x600x256
[default is 640 with possibly less than 256 colors - 16? - if you don't
specify -screen]
You need to specify the entire path for Xvesa, which can be anywhere.
Steven says you can even run it from a mounted floppy disk.

> Xvesa is beyond me. I have X configured for S3 card, but have not
> yet made any efforts for a most sophisticated display. On the other
> machine I ran the old Xserver under the old Slackware (3.5)
> with the old dosemu, and the dosemu Windo seemed to be restricted
> to 16 colours. But I did not follow this.
>
> >We installed a precompiled version of dosemu that required downloading two
> >binary files. I don't recall if it was an older version but it appears to
> >work (in console mode, anyway).
>
> This is probably ver. 1.0.2. It convinced me that dosemu makes sense
> at all. There were many things missing then, eg. sound, networking.
> Unfortunately I was able to compile the development versions 1.1.x.
> Now I have Slackware 7.1 with better compiler and higher X and
> succeeded in compiling 1.1.99. I am not sure whether they will put
> a new binary into their archives soon.

Have you compiled a dosemu that would work for BL2 and if so could someone
post it for the rest of us to try? Dekuji.