baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy drive cannot read linux disks
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:08:58 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Today I tried, after making a floppy disk version
> > of BL2 on this machine, to boot from it.
> >
> > Half of this disk has now been loaded.
> > (This is Disk 1, with three files)
>
> If Disk 1 has only three files, then something is
> seriously wrong. What are the names of those three
> files?

When I run make_fd.bat it tells me three times that it copied
1 file(s) but Iend up with 10 files on diskkk, the lklargest being zimage
and part1. Disk2 has part2.

> > General Failure Error reading drive A
> > Abort, retry, ...., fail
>
> Bad floppy. Badly aligned drive. Take your pick.

It reads all my DOS files justfine but did notread another linux file
recently.

> > I typed f for fail.
> > At this point Steven's program ignored the failure
> > and told me anyway to:
>
> If you decide to ignore the failure, then so will I.

I did not decide to ignore it. The programdid not offer mean option of
giving up when I got an error message so Icontinued.

> > Insert DISK2. Strike any key when ready.
> > I did this to see what would happen and got
> >
> > Divide overflow.
>
> Big surprise. The second floppy won't succeed when
> the first floppy fails.
>
> > Is this a motherboard problem of some sort?
>
> A media or drive problem of some sort?
>
> > I will eventually replace this computer with a few
> > others but would like to learn from my problem.
>
> Old computers: old dirty drives, loose drive mechanisms,
> varying alignments. Add to the mix: old worn disks,
> old dusty disks, cheap new disks.

Only linux has had problemswith this floppy drive.

More flopy problems onthis laptop. We booted with the floppy version of
BL2.0 andit would not access the second disk to load the pppsetup file,
tho I can do ls on the BL2.1 first disk (which seems to work). We even
tried unmountingand mouting it first.

I cannot seewaht I am typing. MyISPis running at 0-500 bytes right now
and the space bar is sticky, sorry. I hate laptop keyboards.