baslinux - Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:33:58 +0000

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:10:07 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Second comment: I am very worried about your first HD (hda).
> There are two potential problems (which could be very serious
> in combination). First, your use of extended partitions is
> a risk. On a pure Linux system, extended partitions seem to
> work fine; however, on a hybrid Linux/DOS system, it is safer
> to use only primary partitions (four per HD).

I think this is right. I recently had an awful fight with a new 40 GB HD
when
I attempted (several times) to partition a BL partition along with a primary
DOS
and extended DOS partition. Everytime I thought I had done it, one or more
partitions got corrupted after installing (and running) BL. The extended
partitions would not hold together after a reboot to DOS. I ended up with
three
primary DOS partitions of 2 GB each, and a primary BL partition of 34 GB !

On the other hand, just think what I could do with a Linux partition THAT
size ! :)

BTW: I use MS-DOS 6.20, not DR-DOS.

Regards,
Ron