baslinux - Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:24:40 -0500 (EST)

I have DR-DOS working okay on two computers with linux, but only primary
partitions. Drive names got rather messed up when we tried extended
partitions.

The next computer has Win98 and DOS and linux partitions: fat32 fat16
ext2. I discovered that the defrag that comes with Win98 (MSDOS 7) can
only be used with Windows. Since I am not going to wait 10 minutes for
Windows to load in order to defrag, I tried using MS-DOS 6.22 defrag which
told me it could only be used with MS-DOS 6.0 or later. ver - Windows 98.
Apparently MS-DOS 6 won't recognize MS-DOS 7 as being MS-DOS.
The DOS partiition is FAT16 (we changed it from FAT32 using Partition
Magic). I can now boot with DR-DOS and defrag the DOS partition. Jim
says there are rumors that the latest DR-DOS (under new ownership) can
defrag FAT32 partitions.

As Steven explained, if you have more than one drive you can have four
partitions per drive. We tested this by making a total of 3 + 2.
It might be helpful to have one DOS and one Linux drive with four
partitions each.