baslinux - Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:38:00 -0500 (EST)

> Yes. That is pretty much what I did with my new 40 GB HD, except that
> I used
> BL (RAM) to make every primary partition. Then formatted the three primary
> DOS partitions with DOS, and also had to run Nortons Disk Doctor fix up
> after MS-DOS
> because the partition tables were left in a bit of a mess and didn't show
> the full 2GB size of each.
>
> Regards,
> Ron

We have discovered that it is better to keep DOS partitions (FAT16) to 1G
because otherwise the cluster sizes get too large and you waste a lot of
space putting small files into large boxes. I think it is something like
8K clusters for 1G, 4K for 500M, 2K for up to 256K. When you go up to 32K
clusters you have wasted more than half the drive (4G) and it is about
37% wasted with a 2G drive, meaning you can use only 1.2 G of a 2G
drive (based on the types of files we had in it) and .8G of a 1G drive
(20% waste). I am not sure of the exact figures. You could put in a
second, smaller, hard drive if you want more DOS space (in 4 more
partitions).

Our neighbor will take our 16G drive off our hands. We could not find any
way to use up more than 1G for each of DOS and Linux and are putting in
two separate smaller drives so that I cannot possibly mess up by
formatting hda partitions for linux which will be on hdb instead.