baslinux - Re: [BL] fdisk for dummies

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fdisk for dummies
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:34:37 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Since we already had a linux partition I assumed I
> could skip mke2fs -

Creating a Linux native partition is only halfway there.
You have to put a filesystem on it. That's what mke2fs does.

> I was told hda3 this was not a valid linux partition so
> I ran mke2fs,
>
> I then discovered that when I rebooted in DOS I could not
> access D:, which was no longer my DOS partition because the
> DOS partition was hda3
>
> I think the instructions for installing to hard drive should
> mention that before installing, if you have formatted with
> some other program, to run fdisk anyway to make sure of the
> proper drive to use for linux

The installation instructions say:
Be very careful. A mistake could delete one of your other
partitions. If you have valuable data on your system, you
should not proceed until you are sure you know what you are
doing. Third, use mke2fs (in BasicLinux) to format your
Linux partition. Be careful to use the correct name (it
is the same name used in cfdisk to refer to the Linux native
partition)