baslinux - X Desktop size (Was Re: [BL] Mouse ?)

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: X Desktop size (Was Re: [BL] Mouse ?)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:05:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Anthony J. Albert wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2003 at 22:44, Electronjunkie wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> > Ok so now i have the gui up and running for my S3 ViGRE/DX
> >(375/385) Video Card and it looks good other than the fact that it has
> >the extended screen. Need to figure out how to make it so i can see
> >the whole desktop.
> [SNIP]
>
> This sounds like the "Virtual Desktop" is larger than the actual
> display size of the screen, if I understand you correctly.
>
> You'll want to edit /etc/XF86Config, looking for "Virtual", which will
> probably be nearer the end. Change the size there to something that
> matches the video mode you wish to operate in. (i.e. 800 600 if you're
> running in 800x600 mode)

All this discussion about the virtual desktop and such has me wondering
about something. I'm not at home to try it out on my own otherwise I
would. What would happen if you specified a virtual line smaller than was
currently being displayed? Say you have a system that you normally use at
800 by 600, but you specify in your /etc/XF86Config file that the Virtual
display should be 640 by 480? Would it default to displaying the entire
screen no matter what setting you were in? Is there a way to turn off
Virtual desktop size altogether? Again, I'm not at home so I can't read
through my materials or test any of this stuff as of yet.

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org