baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling C++ with gcc

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling C++ with gcc
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:25:14 -0500 (EST)

Yes, we already had both of these installed because we installed the list
of packages you said were needed for compiling, but we were trying to
compile C++ with gcc and that did not work.

The program ran as written in the textbook after changing end1 to endl
(letter L instead of number 1). The book is printed in a font that makes
it hard to tell the difference between these. No changes were needed to
what was in the book once we did this and also used g++ instead of gcc.

Another question - we are putting linux on computers with SiS and S3
Trio3D video, for which the Cards file says use XSVGA (the specific chips
are listed in the file), not an accelerated driver. The books say the
SVGA driver usually only does 256 colors but for some cards will do more.
These are both fairly new video chips with 2-8M RAM, that will do up to
1600 res and 24bit color. Is there any way to predict if Linux will only
run them at 8-bit color before actually configuring for them?

They are both VESA 2.0 compliant.

Also, what do I change in XF86Config so that when I have the video set to
1024 res and I type Ctl-Alt-+ it does not give me a 1024 virtual screen
with everything magnified in it, but a plain 800 or 640 res screen with
the icewm buttons at bottom left (without having to scroll down there with
the mouse first).