baslinux - Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:24:30 -0800

Sindi Keesan wrote:
> Why do we have this default, Steven? Is it optimized for VGA?
One of my pet peeves with Linux. xf86config seems to date from mono
monitors. My first Linux install, Redhat 5.2 on a 486, drove me nuts for
weeks before I found out. People bitch about it all the damn time. Who,
nowadays with SVGA, wants the default vga pan mode?

xf86config is almost always called because you want to monkey with the
video, but yet it still has you go thru the routines to do the mouse and
kybd, and if you screw up anything, you havta start the whole damn
script again.

it aint steven's fault. xf86config is very obsolete.
is there any *use* for 16 or 256 colors other than antique hardware?