baslinux - Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:17:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > xf86config seems to date from mono monitors.
>
> Then don't use xf86config. Linux has other options (including
> some point-and-click options designed for dummies).

I personally don't use xf86config. Everyone talks about what to change in
the xf86config script and such. I prefer to hand-edit the XF86Config file
myself. That way I know exactly why certain things appear in the file. I
have run xf86config, but only so I could see what changes it made, then
overwrote the XF86Config file it generated with the original (that I had
backed up prior to running xf86config). My question on how to get the full
screen resolution on the display was answwered by the ordering of the
display resolutions. I'll add "1024x768" before "480x600". Then, even
though I'll still virtually have the 1280x1024, more of it will be on the
screen at one time.

> > xf86config is very obsolete. is there any *use* for 16 or 256
> > colors other than antique hardware?
>
> All of my hardware is "antique". BasicLinux is designed to run
> on old PCs. There are plenty of distributions designed for more
> up-to-date computers. It sounds like you would be happier using
> one of those.

I agree with the antique hardware. I myself have old antiquated hardware
by todays standards. It may be fast for some linux needs, but it's still
antiquated. Everything I have was donated to me by some friends as they've
upgraded their systems and decided to get rid of their old hardware they
thought useless (can't play Star Wars Galaxies on a 300MHz machine with
only 64-128MB ram and a couple gig hard drive space). That was a reason I
prefer to use BasicLinux. That and it gives me the option of installing
and building the system from scratch. I know exactly what I'm installing
and why I'm installing it. If I were to install the standard slakware
distro I'd have over half a gig or more of software I would have no need
for or even know what is was being used for.

Thank you Steven for providing such an easy to use and build linux system.

matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org