baslinux - Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XWindows virtual screen size
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:22:10 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I had the same problem that you describe. Run XF86config again and when
> it asks if the modes are okay answer no. Then rearrange the order of
> resolutions on each line so that the highest resolution which your
> hardware can handle and which you want is the first one. The default is
> to use 640 resolution with a 1280 virtual screen (for my 2M S3 video card,
> anyway) which is what you seem to be describing. The first resolution on
> each line is used if available. Put 1024 FIRST on the top line of the
> list of modes by choosing its number first. You might also make sure you
> have no virtual modes chosen.

I think eliding any lines that say Virtual 1280x1024 might do much the
same thing, though it may not address as well the matter of getting your
favored resolution used by default (from what Sindi's saying, sounds like
the xserver would start the first available resolution, and you'd then
have to ctrl-alt-+ to cycle through available resultions to select the one
you want). Let us know how you get on.

James