baslinux - Re: [BL] scsi

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] scsi
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:21:46 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Day Brown wrote:

> What happens if you launch BL from a SCSI; do you hafta install a scsi
> driver to save something on the scsi drive, or- since dos was driving
> the scsi, can BL put whatever you want someplace so that dos can access
> it?

Let me see if I understand what you're asking: you have DOS on a scsi
drive, and you want to put the BL ramdisk files on this drive so you can
launch BL ramdisk from there. Did I get that right? If I did, I think
you would need to replace the BL kernel with one of the Slack71 stock
kernels - probably one that is called "scsi.i" or something like that.
My deduction is that you'd need to launch BL ramdisk using this kernel in
order for it to be able to find other files (e.g., root.gz or whatever the
compressed root filesystem is called) it needs to boot to ramdisk. Seems
like this would also give you access to whatever partitions you have on
that scsi drive so you could save things there (to your DOS partition, for
example). Of course you'd have to mount the drive first (e.g., mount
/dev/sda1 /hd). Does that sound right Steven? Oh, and you need to either
edit boot.bat so that it points to the scsi kernel, or rename the scsi
kernel to whatever boot.bat calls (think it's "zimage"). Hope that helps.

James