baslinux - Re: [BL] Ted problems

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ted problems
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:17:52 -0500 (EST)

> > Second, if you have gone to the bother to actually learn
> > how to type, the gui mouse system sux.
>
> Why is that? I know how to type and I see no difference
> between the two. Once you are on the line typing, it's
> exactly the same. The only difference is in one case (GUI)
> you use the mouse to select options, and in the other (wp51)
> you use drop-down menus or function keys to select options.
> Perhaps some people have learned to touch-type the wp51
> function keys (all 40 of them), but not me.

The argument against mouse-based word processors that I have always heard is
that you have to 'context switch' between mouse and keyboard : type type type
- oh I need apage break - move hand from keyboard, find mouse, select menu
- type type type.

If you can touch-type, vi (or one of it's more powerful clones - vim, elvis,
nvi, etc) is apparently brilliant. There's a hefty learning curve, but once
you learn the key combos, it should be a lot faster - rather than using
function keys, you are always using the main qwerty area - making it a lot
easier to touch type. Disclaimer: I cannot touch type - but I have often
heard this as an argument for vi.

Ian