baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 03:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

>And I could exit simply by pressing the off button.

Well, you can, but it's my understanding that this is not a good plan.

Corrupting the filesystem obviously won't be a problem as you are running off
a ramdisk, but by powering the PC off rather than using shutdown, you stop
everything dead. I believe it is possible to cause all sorts of nasties that
way - including nobbling your hardware. Also, you give clients connected to
it
no chance to log off cleanly.

For a server, I would recommend shutdown -h 60 or somesuch, so
a) clients have a chance to disconnect cleanly
b) everything is cleaned up properly (network connections, etc)

Also, shutting down linux properly is a good habit to get into! On a hard
disk version of linux I once had to completely reinstall after a crash forced
me to power off, and it trashed my root partition so badly that fsck couldn't
fix it!

Just a word to the wise

Ian