baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 07:53:18 +1300

Matrix Mole wrote:

> As for there being *Nix versions of those programs, I'm not
> sure there are.

Linux has several. The best known is probably minicom.

> Most of them are fairly old, and might not be supported by
> the creators any more.

The lack of support doesn't worry me. A well-designed reliable
application from 1993 is still well-designed and reliable in
2003. If it fails to perform on modern hardware (eg. runs too
fast), then dump it and try a different one. For basic things
like terminal programs, there are usually lots of good alternatives.