baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:51:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, James Miller wrote:

> > I use commo (in DOS). There are plenty of others to choose
> > from (telix, telemate, boyan, terminate, etc.).
> >
> You know, as much as I've come to understand about computing in recent
> years, I do not understand what's being talked about here. For one thing,
> what is a "getty"? I know what a serial port is, but what's a "terminal
> program," and what does it do? Would this task involve hooking 2
> computers together via a null modem cable and administering or interacting
> with one (the one running the getty on the serial port) via a terminal
> program running on the other? And, finally, are all the progs you mention
> DOS progs, Steven, or are some Linux/Unix?
>
> James

Well, I can try to answer some of your questions. I don't know what
"getty" is but I'm betting it's a form of console server. As for the rest,
I can answer most of that. A terminal program is basically a program that
let's you connect to another computer in some fashion so as to do direct
text input. Pretty much all telnet applications are a form of terminal
software (as are MU* clients for those who practice that hobby). The only
difference with the programs listed above is that most of them weren't
designed for use over network connections, mostly just direct cable
connections (modem/null-modem). As for there being *Nix versions of those
programs, I'm not sure there are. Most of them are fairly old, and
might not be supported by the creators any more. I'm sure a search on the
net for them could turn up more, I haven't used them in a very long time.

I hope that was of some help, if not, I'm sure someone else will be more
capable of answering than I am before I next get to respond :)

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org