baslinux - [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasLinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:33:30 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, I'm trying to figure out what all files I'm going to need to make my
BL box into a good and proper files server. Because this will be a home
network between the BL box, a Win98 machine, and my wifes Mac, I know I'll
need samba, and netatalk. I've also loked through my slackware7.1 disc for
other needed packages as well. I won't list them all here. What I'm really
wanting to know, is this: Do I need to install multi-user support for just
the fileserver functionality? Ie, will I have to install a shadow package
and create the users for accessing the file systems, or do I just need the
server packages running? I'm still in the intellectual/design stage of
this, mostly because I don't have cableing or router/hub/switch to connect
the three machines up with as of yet.

Slightly unrelated note (well, unrelated to BL kinda), does anyone have
any suggestions on cheap methods of finding out about building and setting
up home networks? Websites, books that are available in libraries (most
libraries I've ever been in are roughly 5 years behind on the computer
books section IME), anything that could be helpful.

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org