baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:45:58 +1300

Matrix Mole wrote:

> Basically what I'm going to do, is set BL up as a server
> machine and run it headless, most of my maintenance I'll
> be doing through telnet sessions.

I used a spare machine like that (on BL1) for about six months.
All it did was serve a HD and a CDrom (using NFS) to my other
two systems. I suppose I could have put the modem in it and
used it as a firewall. Or put the printer on it and run lpd.
Anyway, the interesting bit was: the whole thing booted from
a customized baslinux.gz and ran in a ramdrive. Every time I
turned on that computer, I got a completely fresh installation.
And I could exit simply by pressing the off button.

> I'm thinking of having an autoexec that simply calls boot.bat

Or just rename boot.bat to autoexec.bat

> I got all the man packages installed that I can think off with
> the exception of manpages.tgz. Is this package neccessary to
> install?

It gives you the foundation manpages. If you don't need them,
no problem. But, chances are you'll need one of them someday.