baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:23:08 -0500

James Miller wrote:
You know, as much as I've come to understand about computing in recent
years, I do not understand what's being talked about here.  For one thing,
what is a "getty"?
getty is short for  GET TTY

TTY is short for Teletype, the original terminal type and the basic model for all text terminals.

getty is the standard name for the Unix  program which provides the login prompt on a terminal, whether its a virtual ethernet connection, a serial port or the multi screens on the console.
I know what a serial port is, but what's a "terminal
program," and what does it do?
A terminal program is a program which emulates a terminal. Linux does this inherently, On DOS or Windows you need a program. Windows comes with HyperTerminal. There a many many different terminal programs,
Would this task involve hooking 2 computers together via a null modem cable and administering or interacting
with one (the one running the getty on the serial port) via a terminal
program running on the other?
Pretty much. although you don't usually need a null modem cable.
 And, finally, are all the progs you mention
DOS progs, Steven, or are some Linux/Unix?
Getty is Unix/Linux. Terminal programs are available for all operating systems.

--
Robert Steinmetz
Principal