baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:34:53 +1300

James Miller (office) wrote:

> But can pppd run on a gateway through which other
> clients are requesting outside network connections
> and thus be made to answer their requests
> (i.e., connect to the 'net when they ask)?

As I say, I have never used demand dialing myself. However,
I imagine that pppd handles this. As far as the other clients
are concerned, they are simply routing their traffic to the
gateway computer. They neither know, nor care, that the gateway
is routing their traffic to ppp0. It is not their problem whether
ppp0 is up or down. So, if ppp0 is up when traffic arrives, it is
smoothly routed (from eth0) to ppp0. If ppp0 is down, pppd probably
does something to freeze the incoming traffic (or perhaps stores it
somewhere?), brings ppp0 up, and then starts routing.