baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA network and modem ERROR messages

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA network and modem ERROR messages
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:03:32 +1200

HenRi KiRya wrote:

> I need to use a realtek cardbus pcmcia net card ( cnf401 fast
> ehternet cardbus adaptor) its not included in the pcmcia.tgz
> package from slackware
> the card came with an rtl8139.c file

Slackware 7.1 has a module for a rtl8139 NIC (I use it myself);
however, it is probably not pcmcia aware. Still, it might be
worth a try.

> what would be the best way forward
> - seek to comile a driver on basic linux

That would be a big job.

> ( wouldnt that require kernel source files ?)

Yes, plus the compiler. Several hundred megabytes in all.

> - plug in another higher kernel

Yes, that's worth a try (assuming you can find a higher kernel
with a pre-compiled pcmcia module for your card).

> ( wouldnt that raise other issues of dependancies and libraries?)

Not necessarily. The module might indeed have a dependency, but
you can get that helper-module from the same place. Just keep the
version number the same on your kernel, modules and helper-modules.