baslinux - [BL] wireless networking and BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] wireless networking and BL2
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:09:02 -0500 (CDT)

Someone was working a few months ago on getting a wireless PCMCIA NIC
going under BL, so that person may have some input on this issue. What
I'm wondering is what would be involved in getting wirless networking
enabled for BL2? I've done a little bit of reading on it but am really
only starting to scratch the surface. I know that certain wirless NIC
modules are included in the pcmcia.tgz package, but, to start with, I'm
not sure if having the right module is all that is involved in getting a
wireless NIC going? I read in some older posts on this issue that maybe
some feature ("radio_something"?) needs to be compiled into the kernel for
wireless to work. Anyone with comments on that? It has also occurred to
me that, perhaps the easiest way to get wireless networking going on BL2,
for the fairly limited occassions on which I might use it, would be to
boot with a network-aware, newer kernel? Further input on this, anyone?

Thanks, James