baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless networking and BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless networking and BL2
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:46:05 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for the input, Rob. Let me just ask a couple of additional
questions for clarification. Having already installed the pcmcia.tgz
package and gotten a "wired" NIC working in an old notebook, I decided to
just stick a wireless pcmcia NIC in to see what would happen. This was an
older Lucent Wavelan card that I borrowed. Well, when /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia
start was run, the card was, in fact, detected and a module loaded.
Running ifconfig showed it as wvlan0 I believe. Let me ask: did the card
you tried work like this? I.e., was it detected when the rc.pcmcia script
ran? I was unable to get any traffic going over the connection, but got
an error when I tried to run dhcp (don't remember what the error was). I
read later that there is an /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file that needs some
lines uncommented for wireless connections to start working, but I don't
know if that's even relevant to BL2. I gather from what you're saying
that, even with those lines uncommented, the card probably would still not
have worked since a certain kernel configuration option
(COFIG_NET_RADIO) is disabled in the BL2 kernel. Is that right? Anyway,
it seemed to me that I was pretty close to having it work, but knowing so
little about wireless networking and not all that much about Linux, that
perception may have been alot further from the truth than I thought.

James