baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless networking and BL2

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless networking and BL2
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:19:19 -0700

James Miller wrote:

> Someone was working a few months ago on getting a wireless PCMCIA NIC
> going under BL, so that person may have some input on this issue. What
> I'm wondering is what would be involved in getting wirless networking
> enabled for BL2? I've done a little bit of reading on it but am really
> only starting to scratch the surface. I know that certain wirless NIC
> modules are included in the pcmcia.tgz package, but, to start with, I'm
> not sure if having the right module is all that is involved in getting a
> wireless NIC going? I read in some older posts on this issue that maybe
> some feature ("radio_something"?) needs to be compiled into the kernel for
> wireless to work. Anyone with comments on that? It has also occurred to
> me that, perhaps the easiest way to get wireless networking going on BL2,
> for the fairly limited occassions on which I might use it, would be to
> boot with a network-aware, newer kernel? Further input on this, anyone?
Put me on the list for info.
I live in the ozarks, and there are some of us who'd like to try to
setup a
long range wireless hispeed internet service coop. Seems like an NIC
would
be a place to start. All the stuff I've seen so far is high frequency,
which
dont penetrate the forest canopy when it's raining. It dont get down
into the
hollows any time.[period] which is where a lot of guys like to live.